Digitizing 3D 'donut' shape & overlapping dilemma

More
1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #1497 by Pascale R.
Hey guys,
I need help digitizing the numbers "00" in 3D foam for a cap.

The zeros are both complex turning objects & I'm finding that where they come together, it overlaps too much. See the bunching? I presume it is because of the push effect from the dense (0.15) satin stitches.



I'm thinking I need to redo the zeros using the Column A tool, so I can leave a tiny gap where the ends come together. Or, perhaps, I can use the knife tool and adjust the new nodes? hmm (Edited addtional remark: yes, the knife worked nicely!)

In either case, how much of a gap do I make?

Also, in general I know for caps, one needs to digitize design from bottom up and from center out. How does one accomplish this with a donut shape?

I look forward to hearing what you guys think. Thanks in advance!
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Pascale R.. Reason: 3D (foam)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #1507 by Pascale R.
Update: my second attempt at digitizing & sewing 3D design on a non-structured cap (with one layer of cap backing) failed. (see photo)

As mentioned above, I used the knife to cut the white donuts. I readjusted the nodes so the stitches were perpendicular to the shape and created a little gap where the sections meet. I added the little section to cap off the opening in case I made the gap too wide & stitching didn't meet.

Results:
On closer inspection, on both zeros, there is a little dip where the white sections meet, but there is no noticeable overlap or gap. Is this caused by the "cap" I digitized?

As you can clearly see, the left zero (the one that stitched last) shifted to the left (it is not centered over the red background border).

Possible problems:
1. I didn't hoop correctly
2. Bad sequencing of objects for cap? Should I have completed one zero entirely (red border & 3D foam) before sewing the second zero? (test sew out of previous version on regular hoop was fine). Here is screenshot of sequencing:


3. Could stopping the machine & resuming 2 hours later have caused the misalignment? I had to turn the machine off for 2 hours after a few stitches of the first zero had sewn.

This has been a fun project, but I'm not sure what changes I should attempt next.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 week 3 days ago by Pascale R.. Reason: Added that I used 1 sheet of stabilizer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #1516 by Sam
Hi Pascale,

I have reviewed the design and the screenshot of the stitching out. The following points are my suggestions:

1) For the sequence, it is necessary to adjust it to this way, red satin circle and followed by the "0" ring, to avoid shifting.
2) make the joint line at the side column of "0" ring. It should be relatively easier for machine to handle the joint at the straight column rather than at the curve column.
3) in the Properties of Fusion Fill object ("0" ring), change the value of "Rows" of "Overlaps" to zero. Previously, it is "1". The push-up effect will still happen in such shape, So, make it minimum.

I hope it can help.

Thanks,
Sam

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #1526 by Pascale R.
Thank you Sam for taking a look at the file!
I look forward to making your recommended changes. I'm out of test caps for now but can't wait to give it a try!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds