Digitizing for caps: Do you add edge underlay on satin border?

More
3 months 2 days ago #2496 by Pascale R.
What is the consensus for this scenario:

When creating a 3mm wide satin border around a letter (for a non 3-D cap), do you add edge run plus zigzag, or just zigzag underlay? Or something else?

While I'm asking, what about the corner types? I'm not sure which is best. Do I use the software corner tools, or do I manually digitize each segment?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
Digitizing 3D 'donut' shape & overlapping dilemma4.78Friday, 08 February 2019
More
3 months 2 days ago #2499 by antony
It depends on who is doing the stitching.
For me, I would usually have edge run and zigzag. (The normal underlay setting.)
One customer insisted on minimum underlay for caps, so I put very little on.

Making sure you don't go too many overlapping. I count underlay as one layer.

As for corner type, both look good. Left one looks better (just make sure you don't go over your maximum stitch length). Most customers wouldn't notice the difference.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2506 by Pascale R.
Hey Antony!

Customer sent me the hats & didn't provide any extras, so I was nervous that I'd made a mistake.

CAPS: I initially digitized the satin border with edge & zigzag underlay, but talked myself out of it and opted for zigzag only with a wide margin. For the angles, I finally decided on mitre 58 degrees.

BUCKET HAT: I added zigzag underlay over the horizontal seam, lightened the density on main fill and increased overlap of satin border.

I sewed everything at a snail's pace, but there were no hiccups & I was really pleased with the results.
Attachments:

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #2508 by Zzeus
Be sure to put the zigzag down first then the edge run. This makes for a crisper column stitch. Make sure the edge run is set to a minimum of .035 to .04 or it may "squirt" out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascale R.

Time to create page: 1.870 seconds