e4 User Manual in more formats please

More
2 years 1 month ago #304 by antony
It would be nice if Wilcom can provide User Manual in A4 size PDF on top of current Letter size PDF.
This will help the rest of us, non-Americans, to print the manual out when needed.

If possible, please also provide the User Manual in e-Book EPUB format.
Reason, EPUB format reads better on iPad. Using iPad as help manual while digitising on the main computer saves users from switch apps on main computer.
On top of that, the EPUB gives users freedom to adjust the settings (e.g. font size) to suit their need.

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vitordigitizing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
feature request: Favourite file formats5Tuesday, 04 September 2018
Segment Overlap values & Manual definition5Friday, 08 February 2019
Wish for Create User-Refined Letter Dialogue box : pull down menu of names4.41Wednesday, 19 June 2019
More
2 years 1 month ago #315 by Barbara
I vote for this

More
2 years 1 month ago #339 by vitordigitizing
Yes please

Enviado de meu SM-N950F usando o Tapatalk

Always Learning.

More
2 years 1 month ago #346 by brenden
Hi all,

Thanks for kicking off this topic. It's raised a vigorous discussion internally on how we can improve our help and documentation.

So we understand the issue better, can you explain why the current size is not suitable for printing in A4? This is help us better understand the issue, and possibly consider other improvements to help with it's output.

RE EPUB: This is also an interesting thought and we'll explore what's possible.

On that note: Do you prefer the User Manual PDF or the website Onscreen Help, and why?

Thanks!
Brenden

Chief Product Officer - Wilcom
Sydney, Australia

Have you installed your latest Wilcom update? Click here.

More
2 years 1 month ago #347 by antony

brenden wrote: can you explain why the current size is not suitable for printing in A4?

Of course letter size PDF can be printed on A4 paper, but there are a few (minor) annoyances I can think off my head:
  • some printer settings require users to overwrite the wrong paper format. (this also means additional walk to printer just to get rid of error message.)
  • no need to re-size.
  • top and bottom margins can be unnecessary and annoying.
    (letter size: 215.9mm x 279.4mm; A4: 210mm x 297mm)
  • generally speaking, if document is formatted for A4, and print on A4 paper, there will be less pages.
    which makes the manual lighter
Those are not critical, but if Wilcom can provide A4 size on top of letter size, it will give us easier in printing. (I am pretty sure FrameMaker can quickly adjust document from letter to A4.)

brenden wrote: RE EPUB: This is also an interesting thought and we'll explore what's possible.

On that note: Do you prefer the User Manual PDF or the website Onscreen Help, and why?

I prefer to have my iPad on the stand next to my main monitor, with reference, user manual open, so while digitising, I can have EmbroideryStudio opened in maximum window without the need to switch to another window (PDF reader or web browser), or resize the Wilcom window size.
Therefore, EPUB format brings to the picture. Obviously, EPUB can make the document much easier to read (especially on iPad), of example I can quickly adjust the text size and add personal notes on EPUB. (Again, I believe FrameMaker can produce EPUB easily.)

As for user manual PDF or onscreen help? I use both, but I personally prefer using the proper Windows Help file system (if not mistaken .chm or something) . I don't see the need to launch web browser, also, this raises another issue of when user's computer is not connected.

More
2 years 1 month ago #351 by Pascale R.
As I am typing this, accessing the manual using the "?" at the bottom of the Object Properties is not working - the "loading" is spinning & spinning. This is also happening when I go to the Help menu > Onscreen help.

Selecting the User Manual from the Help drop down menu is working.

Having access to the manual only via online is not ideal, as internet access may not always be reliable.

I like Antony's idea of being able to open EPUD on iPad next to computer, making notes, etc all without having to resize Wilcom screen or having multiple windows open.

More
2 years 1 month ago #358 by brenden
Thanks all for the feedback :)

Chief Product Officer - Wilcom
Sydney, Australia

Have you installed your latest Wilcom update? Click here.

More
2 years 1 month ago #373 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: Selecting the User Manual from the Help drop down menu is working.

Yes, but it was not the updated version. It's linked to the original installed version (from e4 USB stick).
You will need to go to Online Help and download the updated version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascale R.

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds