allow specifying filename on Send to WiFi USB / Connection Manager

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #1279 by antony
I would like to suggest somewhere in setting dialogue, allowing users to specifying filenames for the output instead of .EMB filename.

Reason: One design, but requires different variations, and would like to keep all variations on the machine.
For example: Say, for the same logo, I want to have some colour changes for black and white shirts. Instead of creating two .EMB files, I can use a single .EMB file, specify colours for black shirt, send to WiFi USB and call it logo on black.pes; then change colours for white shirt, and this time call it logo on white.pes.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
Incorporate the Start & End dialogue box w Send to my machine icon4.82Thursday, 13 September 2018
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #1294 by Pascale R.
Yes, good idea ... but with option to have this feature 'inactive' unless you know you want to change names. Otherwise the speed of using the machine connection icon would be slowed down by extra step of dialogue box opening & having to close it.

For example, if you want to rename, then right click on the machine icon to access the dialogue box for the Connection Settings. If you don't need to rename file, simply click machine icon to send to machine as usual.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #1320 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: Yes, good idea ... but with option to have this feature 'inactive' unless you know you want to change names. Otherwise the speed of using the machine connection icon would be slowed down by extra step of dialogue box opening & having to close it.

Agreed and certainly don't want any extra unnecessary step.
However, there are times I can see the benefit of having the option (to specify filename). Perhaps, the output dialogue can have the default filename as the filename of .EMB, and if filename does not require changing, just press Enter key.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #1333 by Hong
Hi Antony and Pascale,

Have you tried to use the machine file auto-naming feature in the Connection Settings dialog, which allows you to specify machine file names.

Thanks,
Hong
Attachments:

More
3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #1336 by Pascale R.

Hong wrote: tried to use the machine file auto-naming feature in the Connection Settings dialog, which allows you to specify machine file names.Thanks,Hong

That is interesting Hong. No, I had not paid attention to that tab before, I will give it some thought.

The auto naming with prefix & sequential numbers would work for Antony's scenario, but I imagine it might be difficult to determine which file to choose at the machine based on the nomenclature.
Again, requires some thinking :)

What are other examples of how people are using the auto-naming with prefix feature?

Oh, I just noticed how the new auto-names appear: The prefix WIPES out the original file name, so you end up simply with (in my case v - for version): v1.dst , v2.dst, v3.dst etc. I had hoped the prefix would be added to the existing name, like so: v2_WS logo, v3_WS logo

Additional observation: The auto-name Prefix has 8 characters, so one could name each file as you send it provided 8 characters is enough.
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Pascale R.. Reason: added additional observation
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hong

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #1338 by antony

Hong wrote: Hi Antony and Pascale,

Have you tried to use the machine file auto-naming feature in the Connection Settings dialog, which allows you to specify machine file names.

Thanks,
Hong

Hello Hong,

Like Pascale mentioned, the auto-naming is actually auto-sequencing in other words which is not what I need. And users will need to change settings (prefix) for each different design.

I would like the ability to use one of those Connection Manger buttons, while having the ability to specify meaningful filename.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #1356 by Hong
Hi Pascale,

Yes, I can confirm that all your observations are what were originally requests from the Japanese market:

- Filename format: <prefix><number>.<extension>
- Prefix: ASCII only, no unicode characters. No Windows reserved characters.
- Filename length limit: 8 characters.

We have already have some internal issues raised for the current implementation. If you have more thoughts to improve the auto-naming feature, please let us know.

Thanks,
Hong

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #1357 by Hong
Hi Antony,

So you would like to disable the auto-naming feature and be able to enter a meaningful output machine filename before a design is sent to a machine, which is setup via the Connection Manager?

Thanks,
Hong.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #1359 by antony
Hong,
Yes. Either default to the file name (of .emb file) or allow me to type in meaningful file name before sending to machine/wifi (via machine connection.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #1360 by Hong
Thanks Antony for your reply. I have raised an issue for your request.

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds