Insert a new stitch/object after certain object (sequence)? (instead of at end)

More
6 days 16 hours ago - 6 days 3 hours ago #1611 by antony
Not sure if this feature already exists or not, so I post it here.

Say I have this design:

And after the design, say I decided to add some run stitches, and I would like it to be at certain stitching order (sequence).

From above screenshot, #7 should be placed between #2 and #3.
I was hoping that say if I select #2 (highlighted in pink) , there's a modifier key or a way (say an "Add After This..." option in context menu) that I can simply add more objects after #2, rather than to the end of the list. (And I have to move it to the particular stitching order/sequence I prefer.)

This is like in Photoshop or Illustrator and most major graphic applications where users can add new designs/elements to certain layer at time of creating. Not confined to top or bottom layer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 days 3 hours ago by antony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 days 22 hours ago #1635 by Pascale R.
That's a nice idea.
So, click on your number #2 object, get text menu to allow you to add new objects after it. Nice!

In the meantime, you probably already do this (it's a much slower process than what you've described, but it works nicely):

when I want to add a run stitch (or really any object) between two already existing objects - I use the Travel Toolbar and travel to the area I want to add something (say a running stitch to avoid a trim). I then select my digitizing tool & digitize the object. The new object will be sequenced where you indicated. *Remember to hit END, otherwise all new objects will be sequenced after the one you just digitized*

Along the same lines, ... if you press the HOME key, the new object will be added to the very beginning (ie. object 1) , and the consecutive objects, will be positioned as object 2, 3, etc. Depending on where you want to insert the new object (and how many objects are in the color-object list), it's sometimes faster to do it this way and manually resequencing it (or using the right click & sequence tool).

More
5 days 14 hours ago #1642 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: when I want to add a run stitch (or really any object) between two already existing objects - I use the Travel Toolbar and travel to the area I want to add something (say a running stitch to avoid a trim). I then select my digitizing tool & digitize the object. The new object will be sequenced where you indicated. *Remember to hit END, otherwise all new objects will be sequenced after the one you just digitized*

Along the same lines, ... if you press the HOME key, the new object will be added to the very beginning (ie. object 1) , and the consecutive objects, will be positioned as object 2, 3, etc. Depending on where you want to insert the new object (and how many objects are in the color-object list), it's sometimes faster to do it this way and manually resequencing it (or using the right click & sequence tool).

Thank you Pascale,
I didn't know this, and will give it a try.
I still think, selecting an element (on main work area or on colour-object list) and just add after it would make life easier.

More
5 days 4 hours ago #1645 by Pascale R.
Oh good ... glad I was able to help. I can't take the credit for this technique though ... I learned it from John Wright. You can also use this technique at any place, not just between objects. That makes it super handy when creating detailing in outlines - John calls this the "rubber band technique"

If your idea could be implemented, it would certainly make it a lot easier when adding between objects. I hope our Wilcom friends will be able to do it :)

More
4 days 13 hours ago #1656 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: *Remember to hit END, otherwise all new objects will be sequenced after the one you just digitized*

Along the same lines, ... if you press the HOME key, the new object will be added to the very beginning (ie. object 1) ,

Thank you for the keyboard shortcuts and reminder. Do you know that if you hover your mouse over any of those bottoms on Travel Toolbar, left click and right click would do the indicated function?

So Travel by Object is (backward) Shift + T or (forward) Ctrl + T.
This can be handy when I am too lazy to move mouse cursor to Colour-Object List OR over the Travel Toolbar.

(Still hope that there's an easier way to tell e4 to add stitches/object after a selected object.)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds