Insert a new stitch/object after certain object (sequence)? (instead of at end)

More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #1611 by antony
Not sure if this feature already exists or not, so I post it here.

Say I have this design:


And after the design, say I decided to add some run stitches, and I would like it to be at certain stitching order (sequence).


From above screenshot, #7 should be placed between #2 and #3.
I was hoping that say if I select #2 (highlighted in pink) , there's a modifier key or a way (say an "Add After This..." option in context menu) that I can simply add more objects after #2, rather than to the end of the list. (And I have to move it to the particular stitching order/sequence I prefer.)



This is like in Photoshop or Illustrator and most major graphic applications where users can add new designs/elements to certain layer at time of creating. Not confined to top or bottom layer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by antony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1635 by Pascale R.
That's a nice idea.
So, click on your number #2 object, get text menu to allow you to add new objects after it. Nice!

In the meantime, you probably already do this (it's a much slower process than what you've described, but it works nicely):

when I want to add a run stitch (or really any object) between two already existing objects - I use the Travel Toolbar and travel to the area I want to add something (say a running stitch to avoid a trim). I then select my digitizing tool & digitize the object. The new object will be sequenced where you indicated. *Remember to hit END, otherwise all new objects will be sequenced after the one you just digitized*

Along the same lines, ... if you press the HOME key, the new object will be added to the very beginning (ie. object 1) , and the consecutive objects, will be positioned as object 2, 3, etc. Depending on where you want to insert the new object (and how many objects are in the color-object list), it's sometimes faster to do it this way and manually resequencing it (or using the right click & sequence tool).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1642 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: when I want to add a run stitch (or really any object) between two already existing objects - I use the Travel Toolbar and travel to the area I want to add something (say a running stitch to avoid a trim). I then select my digitizing tool & digitize the object. The new object will be sequenced where you indicated. *Remember to hit END, otherwise all new objects will be sequenced after the one you just digitized*

Along the same lines, ... if you press the HOME key, the new object will be added to the very beginning (ie. object 1) , and the consecutive objects, will be positioned as object 2, 3, etc. Depending on where you want to insert the new object (and how many objects are in the color-object list), it's sometimes faster to do it this way and manually resequencing it (or using the right click & sequence tool).

Thank you Pascale,
I didn't know this, and will give it a try.
I still think, selecting an element (on main work area or on colour-object list) and just add after it would make life easier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1645 by Pascale R.
Oh good ... glad I was able to help. I can't take the credit for this technique though ... I learned it from John Wright. You can also use this technique at any place, not just between objects. That makes it super handy when creating detailing in outlines - John calls this the "rubber band technique"

If your idea could be implemented, it would certainly make it a lot easier when adding between objects. I hope our Wilcom friends will be able to do it :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1656 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: *Remember to hit END, otherwise all new objects will be sequenced after the one you just digitized*

Along the same lines, ... if you press the HOME key, the new object will be added to the very beginning (ie. object 1) ,


Thank you for the keyboard shortcuts and reminder. Do you know that if you hover your mouse over any of those bottoms on Travel Toolbar, left click and right click would do the indicated function?

So Travel by Object is (backward) Shift + T or (forward) Ctrl + T.
This can be handy when I am too lazy to move mouse cursor to Colour-Object List OR over the Travel Toolbar.

(Still hope that there's an easier way to tell e4 to add stitches/object after a selected object.)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 days ago - 6 months 3 days ago #1750 by Hong
Hi Antony and Pascale,

I have raised an issue with the following requirements:

1. Add the "Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected" menu item and a separator immediately below the "Object Properties..." menu item in both the Design Window and the Color-Object List docker object right-click popup menus.

Object Properties...


​ Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected


......

2, The "Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected" menu item will be enabled at all times.

3. Clicking the "Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected" menu item will move the stitch cursor to the end of selected object if only one object is selected, or end of last object in the selection in the stitching sequence if two or more objects are selected.



Thanks,
Hong
Last edit: 6 months 3 days ago by Hong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 days ago #1756 by antony

Hong wrote: Hi Antony and Pascale,

I have raised an issue with the following requirements:

1. Add the "Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected" menu item and a separator immediately below the "Object Properties..." menu item in both the Design Window and the Color-Object List docker object right-click popup menus.

Object Properties...



​ Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected


......

2, The "Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected" menu item will be enabled at all times.

3. Clicking the "Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected" menu item will move the stitch cursor to the end of selected object if only one object is selected, or end of last object in the selection in the stitching sequence if two or more objects are selected.



Thanks,
Hong

Thank you.

Just a minor thing, "Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected," to me, is not that easy to read, and might be a bit confusing at first.
Anyone has better way to describe this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hong

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 days ago #1757 by Hong
[/quote]
Just a minor thing, "Move Stitch Cursor to End of Selected," to me, is not that easy to read, and might be a bit confusing at first.
Anyone has better way to describe this?[/quote]

Or call it "Travel to End of Selected" so is consistent with those Travel tools. And all the travel tools actually move the stitch cursor to a specified position.

Thanks,
Hong
The following user(s) said Thank You: antony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 days ago #1763 by antony

Hong wrote: Or call it "Travel to End of Selected" so is consistent with those Travel tools. And all the travel tools actually move the stitch cursor to a specified position.

Thank you.
If possible, please add a keyboard shortcut for this.
Reason: for newbies like me, do all the shapes first, then come back to add run stitches to reduce trims. A keyboard shortcut can definitely speed up the process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hong

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 days ago #1765 by antony
And I came up with following draft for "Travel to End of Selected " icon.


source:
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds