Changing Names in font library.

More
1 week 3 days ago #2133 by Zzeus
Having the ability to change the file names in the font library would save tons of time later. Because the fonts are listed by name (Wilcom's given name) a lot of time is wasted searching for fonts. I have about ten fonts I use as primaries but I have to search through the entire list every time I use them. The Recently Used list helps some but in no way works prevents the searching time required.

I have used other software for many years before going to Wilcom and even though the fonts are almost identical the names are different. (i.e. Script 2 is really Brush - found that by accident). By simply having the ability to put a number in front of the file name would relocate it to the top of the list so that it could be found much easier and faster while also giving end users that have used other software and easy way of renaming ESA fonts to what we have used for years..

Also, listing the fonts by type would save tremendous amounts of search time when trying to match fonts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
please allow users to set units in Design Library3.08Thursday, 21 March 2019
Lettering Drop Down List Font Size3Friday, 25 January 2019
More
1 week 3 days ago #2135 by antony

Zzeus wrote: Having the ability to change the file names in the font library would save tons of time later. Because the fonts are listed by name (Wilcom's given name) a lot of time is wasted searching for fonts. I have about ten fonts I use as primaries but I have to search through the entire list every time I use them. The Recently Used list helps some but in no way works prevents the searching time required.

Do you know you can type in the name of the font, or the first letter to start with?
See short video clip below:
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I would also suggest print out pages 1203 to 1234 of e4.2 Reference Manuale4.2 Reference Manual (PDF), and just type the name of the font or the first letter.

Zzeus wrote: I have used other software for many years before going to Wilcom and even though the fonts are almost identical the names are different. (i.e. Script 2 is really Brush - found that by accident).

Please check this ESA and matching/similar TTF thread

Zzeus wrote: Also, listing the fonts by type would save tremendous amounts of search time when trying to match fonts.

For time being, the font listed on the Reference Manual (PDF, linked above) is sorted by font type.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
1 week 2 days ago #2139 by Zzeus
I realize that can be done but that only helps when you know the name of the font you want to use. The problem for me comes when I am being asked to match an existing font my customer is using and we get that a lot in our shop. That too is why having the ability to rename fonts would be a tremendous tool.

More
1 week 2 days ago #2141 by antony
Sorry for my attempt on offering old-fashioned workaround.

More
1 week 1 day ago #2159 by Zzeus
I always appreciate input and ideas Antony. I definitely don't know all the shortcuts and workarounds and I probably could have explained my situation better. Thanks for your input.

More
5 days 15 hours ago #2197 by Petar
Being able to change the font name to something else would cause an absolute nightmare for everyone.

You say you use 10 fonts mostly. If there was a way to favorite fonts and only show the favorites would that help in your situation?

More
4 days 23 hours ago #2206 by Zzeus
Not exactly sure I understand why having the ability to change the file name would effect anyone but the one changing them. I have done this for years in my other software. If I change a file name by placing a number as the first character in front of the name the file would simply by relocated to the front of the list as numbers read before letters in the file. That would simply take the ones I use most and list them first in my font list and eliminate the need to scroll for them and would essentially give me my list favorites . None of the others would be effected. I would think that would have to be done in the WLETTER or USERLETW files. would think but that does not work yet if I purchase a fonts that is where you put them and they show up fine.

More
1 day 15 hours ago #2223 by Petar
An issue has been raised.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds