dot on filename

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #2287 by antony
dot on filename was created by antony
I saved a file with filename "SSCE 19 7.25MH.EMB" which is very descriptive and meaningful, as it indicates this particular EMB is designed for 7.25-inch Mighty Hoop..
Seems fine on Design Library.

However, the tab on main work area shows only "SSCE 19 7"

And the output (machine file) gets only "SSCE 19 7"
Now, the part after dot were dropped out, just "7" (instead of "7.25MH") can be somehow cryptic to decipher.

Can we have more relaxed filenames Please?

Sorry to say that, but we are in 2019, not Windows 95.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #2290 by Pascale R.
Replied by Pascale R. on topic dot on filename
Hey Antony
I have always avoided using 'dots' in file names - I didn't know it was "allowed" now.

Anyway .. here's a work around you probably know about:
for 7.25MH - I would use 7qMH
for 5.5 MH - I would use 5hMH
File names that require three-quarters is troublesome though ....
The following user(s) said Thank You: antony

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #2293 by antony
Replied by antony on topic dot on filename
Thank you Pascale,

That's a clever idea by using half and quarter instead.

When I see 7.25, I read it as "seven point two five" to myself, instead of "seven and a quarter." You have to excuse that I don't speak English.
And as a primary Mac user, I name most files as easily decoding as possible, and having dots isn't an issue in most cases.

(I was thinking of using "725MH" or "7 25MH" but don't really like either much.)

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #2297 by LightishRedd
Replied by LightishRedd on topic dot on filename
It would be nice to use periods that way, but you shouldn't as a matter of convention.

Within the Windows filesystem, periods are reserved and have special usage and meaning. For instance, they're reserved for designating three-letter filename extensions (".dst", ".emb", etc.). When placed in front of a filename, it will make the file hidden. There are many files used by Windows that you can't see in Windows Explorer and use this naming convention so you won't mess with them and wreak havoc on your system. Programmers have other special uses for periods as well.

It's interesting. The tab and main window show only characters prior to the period, but Design Library shows everything. This suggests that Wilcom Design Library may use different conventions for reading filenames, whereas the main window of Wilcom maybe using Windows filesystem conventions for reading filenames. I'm interested in knowing if the second half of your filename is hidden in Windows Explorer as well.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #2298 by Petar
Replied by Petar on topic dot on filename
I personally don't use dots in filenames but use slugs.

It has already been reported internally in CAD-11207.

It might work if you set "Hide extensions for known file types" to off. The windows default is on.
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Petar.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #2303 by LightishRedd
Replied by LightishRedd on topic dot on filename
"Slug" isn't a term I've heard before. What is it?

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #2305 by antony

LightishRedd wrote: It would be nice to use periods that way, but you shouldn't as a matter of convention.

I know, I grew up with DOS 8.3 filename system.

LightishRedd wrote: Within the Windows filesystem, periods are reserved and have special usage and meaning. For instance, they're reserved for designating three-letter filename extensions (".dst", ".emb", etc.).

My point is, time has changed. Such restrictions should be relaxed.
Shouldn't the programme and OS smart enough to read the extension from end of the filename, rather than from beginning, and allow us to use dot for descriptive filename?

File extension is not that important in macOS. Although not recommended, technically speaking, I can have no extension (not hidden, but actually no extension) at all (or certain arbitrary one or even confusing one) and the system can recognise it is a certain file type.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yogisaw

More
2 weeks 8 hours ago #2311 by Petar
Replied by Petar on topic dot on filename
So with a slug, it would be something like this D2837-JB.emb (JB for Jacket Back)

It would also depend on the machine as well. Plenty of machines out there that still like DOS 8.3 file system names.

More
2 weeks 5 hours ago #2312 by yogisaw
Replied by yogisaw on topic dot on filename
Hi LightishRedd

Within the Windows filesystem, periods are reserved and have special usage and meaning. For instance, they're reserved for designating three-letter filename extensions (".dst", ".emb", etc.).

I am sure you are referring to old file system. I don't know from which version of windows they have changed it to allow user to use multiple periods in their file names. you can change a file name to "....emb" as well in windows explorer hence I am sure wilcom tab window is not following windows naming convention.

When placed in front of a filename, it will make the file hidden.

It does not work in windows but works in Linux based os.

we are using wilcom e4.2 which cannot work on windows version lower than win 7 hence there is no question of dos based machines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: antony

More
2 weeks 1 hour ago #2313 by antony

Petar wrote: It would also depend on the machine as well. Plenty of machines out there that still like DOS 8.3 file system names.

So, for the rest of us who do not own/access to old machines that require DOS 8.3 file names, please give us the option of flexible filenames we can name the way we like.

Hence, my suggestion:
a settings in Options that allows users to enable flexible filenames. (With warning messages that might not be compatible with older machines.)

Time to create page: 0.366 seconds