Update Kerning Settings causes unwanted kerning of previously updated letter

More
3 months 6 days ago #3437 by Pascale R.
Two part question.

1. I've noticed a strange occurrence when I use the "Update Kerning Settings" and wanted to ask if I'm doing something wrong. Basically, after using the "update kerning setting" of several letters, I've noticed that when I update a 2nd letter, the previously updated letter moves in an unwanted way.

Example:
I am using FLARES esa font and type "DADDY". I select the text object, hit H, move the Y closer to the D, go to Objects > Update Kerning Settings.

Then, I select the A and move it closer to the D, and update kerning settings. When I do this, I notice that the Y also moves (I don't remember if it moved closer or further away, but the move was not anticipated or wanted).

2. I don't want to recreate the problem, because once the "update kerning setting" has been saved, I don't know how to UNDO the update or bring the kerning back to its original setting. Is there a way to undo an "update kerning setting" command?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 5 days ago #3439 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: Example:
I am using FLARES esa font and type "DADDY". I select the text object, hit H, move the Y closer to the D, go to Objects > Update Kerning Settings.

Then, I select the A and move it closer to the D, and update kerning settings. When I do this, I notice that the Y also moves (I don't remember if it moved closer or further away, but the move was not anticipated or wanted).

Did you sort of select "D" and "Y" for the first Kerning setting?
Then select "A" and "D" then update kerning setting again?

Usually, I would try the new kerning setting in new file or re-launch of Wilcom. I know it is a pain.

More
3 months 5 days ago #3440 by Pascale R.

antony wrote: Did you sort of select "D" and "Y" for the first Kerning setting?
Then select "A" and "D" then update kerning setting again?
Usually, I would try the new kerning setting in new file or re-launch of Wilcom. I know it is a pain.

Hi Antony - yes, that is correct. I did both sets of kernings on the same text object, one right after the other, without testing how each worked in a new text object or in a new file. I'll give that a shot next time I run across a kerning need. I hope it doesn't require a re-launch!

Do you know how to delete an updated kerning setting once it has been saved?

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds