Observation & "problem" with using BRANCHING tool

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #434 by Pascale R.
Observation:
I have noticed that when I use the BRANCHING tool, the stitch count is usually higher than if I had taken the time to path the objects better in the first place. Sometimes, the branching tool adds several additional passes that don't appear to be necessary.

Have others noticed this too?

Here's an example:

Is a higher stitch count the understood drawback to using the branching tool to quickly reduce trims?

"Problem" with using Branching Tool:
I suspect that Wilcom folks are going to recommend not using DST files, but that is not always possible. When I purchase designs (or fonts) they are not in EMB format.
For this example, I opened DST in Wilcom (using Open command). There are trims between letters. Looking at the 'el' combination, I attempted to use the branching tool. It changed the look of the stitching (this also happened when I imported the dst file into a blank wilcom work space) .
I can redigitize the letters, but I'm wondering if I should be doing something differently?

Update: I had another idea. I considered changing the in/out points of the 'l' and pathing a run stitch from the e to the 'new' start of the l, but changing the start/end points also messed up the stitches.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by Pascale R.. Reason: Added update at bottom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
Using Branching tool on Backtrack & Repeat runs quadruples the stitch count!8.29Thursday, 21 February 2019
Lettering tool vs Monogramming tool and height of letters4.98Tuesday, 12 March 2019
branching objects and normal objects4.33Thursday, 30 May 2019
Monogram problem4.15Monday, 29 October 2018
Teamnames problem4.15Thursday, 20 June 2019
Problem with updating to 4.1Q4.15Saturday, 19 January 2019
Template problem in e4.2F4.15Friday, 22 March 2019
display problem4.15Monday, 03 February 2020
Update from e4.2 to e4.5 problem4.15Friday, 26 June 2020
Reshape Problem with Input C4.11Friday, 31 August 2018
More
2 years 6 days ago #439 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: Observation:
I have noticed that when I use the BRANCHING tool, the stitch count is usually higher than if I had taken the time to path the objects better in the first place. (...)
Have others noticed this too?

I think this is expected. Since Branching decides the path how multiple elements join, its algorithm might not result the best or optimal path.

One analogy: GPS navigation device will get you to the final destination, however your local area knowledge usually get better route.
In other words, if the additional stitches aren't of big issue, you can save time by using Branching. Otherwise, you can try to add running stitches while digitising.

In my testing, it is faster (overall) to have higher stitch counts than more trims. Reducing stitching counts also have many other benefits.

Pascale R. wrote: I suspect that Wilcom folks are going to recommend not using DST files, but that is not always possible. When I purchase designs (or fonts) they are not in EMB format.

Do they also offer (say) .pes or other machine formats? Those formats should make life easier than .dst.

More
2 years 5 days ago #446 by Pascale R.

antony wrote:

Pascale R. wrote: I suspect that Wilcom folks are going to recommend not using DST files, but that is not always possible. When I purchase designs (or fonts) they are not in EMB format.

Do they also offer (say) .pes or other machine formats? Those formats should make life easier than .dst.

Thanks for the input Antony; I always like your analogies too :)

Why do you say that PES can make life easier? What is your experience with other formats? My understanding is that DST were the files of choice for keeping important commands, like trims intact, etc.

More
2 years 5 days ago - 1 year 8 months ago #447 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: Why do you say that PES can make life easier? What is your experience with other formats? My understanding is that DST were the files of choice for keeping important commands, like trims intact, etc.

Well, the strange colours from .dst drive me nuts.

Most trim commands (if any) should be there in machine formats, as for other commands (e.g. STOP), I doubt most online design sites would add those in.

What I see about DST is not the first choice, but the last resort.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by antony. Reason: spelling. Sorry can't spell.

More
2 years 5 days ago - 2 years 4 days ago #448 by Pascale R.
Hey Antony. When I reread my comments to you, Antony, I got the impression that they sounded snippy. I'm sorry if my comments came across that way - that was not my intent! :oops:

I agree about the colors in DST files - they make interpreting colors choices a bit more difficult. I remember working on a detailed airplane design and it was a major headache getting all the shading and correct colors!
Last edit: 2 years 4 days ago by Pascale R.. Reason: typo

More
2 years 2 days ago #457 by antony
Hello Pascale, don't worry about that. ;)

More
1 year 11 months ago #491 by antony
Hello Pascale,

You probably won't believe this, after this post, I've been managing paths a lot myself instead of relying on Branching. :lol:

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #501 by Pascale R.

antony wrote: Hello Pascale,

You probably won't believe this, after this post, I've been managing paths a lot myself instead of relying on Branching. :lol:

;) The travel by trim makes this task quite easy (and I have found that I can often change the start/end points on satin objects to reduce stitch count even further, when working with those dreaded stitch files - lol)!
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Pascale R..

Time to create page: 3.457 seconds