Font Creator & additional "swashy" characters

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #612 by Pascale R.
Hi Lindee,
Yikes! It sounds like you've had trouble trying to find a work around. Unfortunately, I am not the person to ask questions about Corel. I am not at all familiar with Corel and only know a few things.

I'm not sure if any of the following things I am about to say/mention will be correct, so I hope I am not wasting your time and/or providing wrong information.

I do see the differences in the smoothness of the letters in your attachment. Could it be that Wilcom recognizes the vectors better when it comes from Corel? Seems odd, though!

Looking at your attachment, it appears as though each segment is an enclosed object (closed wireframe objects void of color inside). Is that right? Are you wanting to fill the objects with color? Probably not ... but if that is the case, you can add color inside the shape by going to the Object Properties > Special Tab in Wilcom. You can also do this in Corel (select object and left click the color chip to fill object / right click to change outline color). I suspect that's not the problem, right?

When you say you "reapply stitches object by object", are you using the Smart Design tool or the turning satin object tools in the Auto-digitizing toolbar? Or, are you using the Column A digitizing tool (or the Digitize Column tool)? If using the former, the number of nodes (and whether they are curved or straight) would be an issue, but if you are using the Column A / Digitize column tool, I think you could ignore the extra nodes.

Concerning the curved / straight nodes --- Would going to the Edit menu in Wilcom & selecting Smooth curves help? Or, does that distort the shape too much?

Well, I probably didn't shed any knew information, and I hope I haven't totally messed you up!

By the way, I meant to tell you that your completed alphabet you provided a screenshot of is very elegant!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #613 by LindeeG

Pascale R. wrote: I do see the differences in the smoothness of the letters in your attachment. Could it be that Wilcom recognizes the vectors better when it comes from Corel? Seems odd, though!

The jaggy one is the one I imported directly into e4 and the smoothed one came in via Corel > Import. So it's Corel that recognizes vectors better.

It's only when I move the Corel imported version to WIlcom and try to select a shape, that I find it's not a closed object anymore, just a line segment. To look at it, it looks like a closed shape but when I select it. I just have a piece of a line.

I suppose a video would make it more apparent.

The software I used previously was Mac based and worked like Illustrator so I was more accustomed to drawing vector shapes and then just select it, apply angle lines, and a stitch effect. The idea is that if you have good clean vector objects, why should you retrace it?

I can do the same thing in e4 on a closed object: Select it, press Ctrl-H and add the angles. It's just that in the vector imported directly into e4 is jaggy and I have to do significant cleanup before I do that. Corel imports the same vector more cleanly but for some reason, it's splitting it apart. Guess I need to watch some Corel tutorials.

I'll have to try the Smooth Curves option - I didn't think of that.

Right now my level of e4 is like learning a new language and translating from a language I know well to one I'm still sorting out.

Pascale R. wrote: By the way, I meant to tell you that your completed alphabet you provided a screenshot of is very elegant!

Thanks!

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #614 by Pascale R.

LindeeG wrote:
It's only when I move the Corel imported version to WIlcom and try to select a shape, that I find it's not a closed object anymore, just a line segment. To look at it, it looks like a closed shape but when I select it. I just have a piece of a line.

I can do the same thing in e4 on a closed object: Select it, press Ctrl-H and add the angles. It's just that in the vector imported directly into e4 is jaggy and I have to do significant cleanup before I do that. Corel imports the same vector more cleanly but for some reason, it's splitting it apart. Guess I need to watch some Corel tutorials.

Try this .... In Wilcom ...
Select your line object (the one that's supposed to be closed), go to the Edit Menu > Close curve with curved line (or straight line, if applicable). That might work as a "work-around" until we hear from the experts :)

I should have answered using my PC, but I'm using my MAC and running back & forth between my 'computer room/office' and my sewing room that has PC with Wilcom to see the correct terminology -- and forgetting by the time I get to other computer -- LOL.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Pascale R.. Reason: specified 'try this in wilcom'

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds