Getting Exception Access Violation when saving letter to old ESA file

More
1 year 7 months ago #1815 by Pascale R.
Wilcom e4.2F / PC Windows 10 OS built 17134.619

When I open an EMB file (created probably prior to e4.0) and manually digitize a letter, and then attempt to save the letter to its corresponding ESA file (also probably created prior to e4.0) by hitting OK to save it, Wilcom crashes with an EAV error.

For Wilcom Staff: I have submitted this as a "Feedback report" within Wilcom software - Request #24757 (supporting files were sent with report)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
Batch saving design into multiple machine file formats7.73Tuesday, 01 October 2019
e4.2F ---- CANNOT find ESA file in the Create Letter OR Manage Alphabets7.3Tuesday, 12 March 2019
Exception Errors with Alphabet Creator5.54Thursday, 07 March 2019
saving to version 9???4.84Wednesday, 29 July 2020
Exception Error using Font Creator with applique font4.82Wednesday, 04 March 2020
slow speed when saving design4.73Monday, 17 August 2020
removing letter joins4.26Wednesday, 11 March 2020
e4.1J - ESA Alphabet name is not remembered when using Letter Creator4.21Friday, 29 November 2019
Is the tilde "~" key off limits when creating an esa letter?4.21Monday, 09 December 2019
How do I delete a "user-Refined letter" setting?4.16Friday, 07 December 2018
More
1 year 7 months ago #1823 by Karla
Hi Pascale,

Thank you.

We had a similar issue already reported in our system (I think the fix is already delivered for the next update). We are aware of issues relating to pre-saved template/files and Lettering feature in e4.2F.

However for us to test it in our end, please provide the files you've used.

Thanks,
Karla

More
1 year 7 months ago #1825 by Pascale R.
Hi Karla ... files have already been sent (please refer to Request #24757 submitted on Feb 28 from the internal reporting within Wilcom when system crashes; Sam consolidated request #24758 to 24757) . Thanks.

More
1 year 7 months ago #1830 by Karla
Hi Pascale,

Thank you.

I will have a look on that and will get back to you.

Regards,
Karla

More
1 year 7 months ago #1832 by Karla
Hi Pascale,

I can confirm that it did crash in e4.2F 19 Feb 2019 (85-21416) [01016bf8]. I got a crash three times when trying to create a letter.

I think the problem lies in the template.

The good news is there is a workaround.
1. Open AB Roasted EMB file.
2. Open a new file
3. Copy all the objects from AB Roasted EMB file (make sure to unlock and ungroup all objects) to the new file.
4. Create a letter from the e4.2F.
Result will not crash.

Note that I tried to reproduce this in the latest build we have and it appears to have been fixed. The fix will be on the next update.

Regards,
Karla

More
1 year 7 months ago #1833 by Pascale R.
Thank you Karla! You are brilliant - the workaround worked for me too :)

When you say the problem lies in the template - do you mean the "Normal Template" (the one I've overwritten) or my emb file that has a 'template' of the letters? The reason I ask: is there something in the template (or my emb file) that I should be careful to not recreate in the future? Did I do something in particular that could have contributed to the problem with the template?

Thanks!

More
1 year 7 months ago #1835 by Karla
Hi Pascale,

No worries. :)

There are certain/specific templates that causes this issue. Ideally these templates should be working and SW should be able to handle them. User changes should not be a factor to avoid the crash. If there are old files with lettering issues (and crashes), editing the objects in the new file is a workaround for now until the next update (with the fix) is released.

Thanks,
Karla
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascale R.

More
1 year 6 months ago #1967 by Pascale R.
Update with e42G -
I have opened several emb files to save letters to 3 different ESA alphabets. Has worked fine, with no crashes - thank you :)

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds