What things you don't like about the Color related controls?

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #1894 by Hong
What things you don't like about the Color toolbar, Colorway Editor docker, Threads docker, and any other Color related controls? And what things you like most about them?

- Color toolbar:

1. Do you setup the color palette on the Color toolbar before you digitize a new design?
2. How do you normally setup the color palette on the Color toolbar?
3. Do you prefer to have as many different colors as possible in the color palette by default, or have only one or several basic colors in the color palette by default on the Color toolbar?
4. Do you like the way the color palette scrolls a whole row at a time on the Color toolbar?
5. Do you like the look and feel of the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list on the Color toolbar?
5.1 Do you want to see the design thumbnails inside the background squares in the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list (as shown in attachment)?
5.2 Do you want to see the color block sequence (as Color List in the Color-Object List docker) for each colorway in the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list?

- Colorway Editor docker:

6. Do you like to see the 'Color #' column at all times in the Colorways pane in the Colorway Editor docker?
7. Do you like to see the Unused Colors in the Colorways pane in the Colorway Editor docker? If the answer is yes, when and why do you need to see?
8. Do you like to see the color block sequence to be the same as the Color List in the Color-Object List docker for each colorway in the Colorway Editor docker?
9. Do you like the changes we made in e4.2: single-clicking a color (in Threads pane/docker) to change currently selected color and double-clicking a color (in Threads pane/docker) to add a color to color palette / colorway?
10. Do you like the way to enter/edit Element for different stops in one color stop and the Locate function?
11. How do you normally use the Threads pane in the Colorway Editor docker?

- Threads docker

12. Do you use the Threads docker to edit the color palette on the Color toolbar or change the color of selected objects?
13. Do you find the Threads docker very useful to you?

Thanks,
Hong

Product Designer
Wilcom International Pty Ltd
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Hong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brenden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
Strange happenings with color-object list and Color Chip4.62Friday, 21 September 2018
Example of object color that isn't matching the chip color4.49Monday, 09 December 2019
Color Wheel3.18Sunday, 27 January 2019
Added color at the end.3.18Wednesday, 12 August 2020
issues with Color PhotoStitch3.14Sunday, 08 December 2019
color change in my files3.14Wednesday, 15 January 2020
Reef Photo Stitch color separation3.08Wednesday, 06 May 2020
Reef Photo Stitch color separation3.08Sunday, 03 May 2020
thumbnail on Color-Object List not updated correctly3.04Sunday, 04 August 2019
Print trueview design and Color-Object List3.04Saturday, 19 September 2020
More
1 year 7 months ago #1901 by Pascale R.
Thank you for taking the time to do this!
I will attempt one topic at a time.

Threads docker
12. Do you use the Threads docker to edit the color palette on the Color toolbar or change the color of selected objects?
I am trying to get better at assigning my color spools to the colorways.

1. I use the color toolbar to assign colors to selected objects. (ie I digitize something, then select it & choose color from color toolbar, if I had not already selected color in the first place).
2. Then, if I have time and want to document the exact thread color I used, I go to the Threads docker, enter to color code and assign it to the color chip of my colorway. Note: Since I'm not consistent with assigning color codes, I document which colors I used in the Design Information > comment section.

This may not be the best way to do this, but I'm still learning and figuring out what works best for my system.

Eventually, I will need to create a color way with my 'favorite' thread colors. Then, using the Threads docker and "Select Thread Charts" ( I love that it remembers my charts), I will assign the color codes with the corresponding threads I use.
Example: For simple applications or monograms, etc, I like to have graduated colors in my colorway. In this example, my number 1 color chip was a pretty light blue; when I assigned Marathon Poly #2205 to it, it became a blah blue & not realistic to the real color. To correct this, I will go to the Edit color > mix > more colors > and play around until I get what looks more realistic for MP2205. And so forth ....

13. Do you find the Threads docker very useful to you?
Yes, for assigning color codes to my colorway(s), but, for ME, it has serious limitations.
I tend to scroll through the colors using the mouse scroll bar (instead of the up/down arrows on the far right side of the thread docker). That may me one of the reasons I end up inadvertently assigning new colors to the colorways. UGH. I do NOT like the single click!

Just taking the steps to answer #12, I inadvertently changed the colors twice! I know I'm not supposed to single click, I know it is user error on my part, but it happens anyway and it's frustrating!

Am I misinterpreting what the manual says about double clicking?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hong

More
1 year 7 months ago #1907 by Hong
Hi Pascale,

Thank you very much for taking your time to reply the questions for Threads docker and letting us know how you work with the software. We will review your feedback carefully. We already have an issue for the single-click so easy to change colors by mistake.

Pascale R. wrote: In this example, my number 1 color chip was a pretty light blue; when I assigned Marathon Poly #2205 to it, it became a blah blue & not realistic to the real color. To correct this, I will go to the Edit color > mix > more colors > and play around until I get what looks more realistic for MP2205. And so forth ....

[Hong] If you use this thread a lot, you can directly edit this color in the Manage Threads Charts dialog, which can be accessed by selecting 'Manage Thread Charts...' menu item from the Setup dropdown menu.

Am I misinterpreting what the manual says about double clicking?

[Hong] I just checked e4.2 Reference Manual and Release Notes, both do not contain anything related to your attachment. However, I can see e4.0 Release Notes contains your attachment, which is correct for e4.0.

Thanks,
Hong

More
1 year 7 months ago #1908 by antony

Hong wrote: 1. Do you setup the color palette on the Color toolbar before you digitize a new design?

No and yes. I have a few different Templates with different Colourways. I try to select the one that suits at the beginning. Not all the time.

Hong wrote: 2. How do you normally setup the color palette on the Color toolbar?

Complicated steps.
(1) Click on the Colourway Editor (next to Colourway 1 dropdown menu).
(2) Then Colourway Editor appears as docker, and edit from there.
(3) To add a new colour (chip) to the Colour palette, I need to go back to Colour Toolbar and click the "+" button. (See Add / Remote Colours on Colourway Editor request )
(3.5) Unless I just want to replace a colour chip to different colour, I would just do that on Colourway Editor.

Hong wrote: 3. Do you prefer to have as many different colors as possible in the color palette by default, or have only one or several basic colors in the color palette by default on the Color toolbar?

Either way. However, since the interface is improving, please have "pastel colours" as default colours on Colour Toolbar. (The default colours look very 90s, basic colours.)

Hong wrote: 4. Do you like the way the color palette scrolls a whole row at a time on the Color toolbar?

Yes. Prefer this to horizontal scrolling.

Hong wrote: 5. Do you like the look and feel of the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list on the Color toolbar?

Assuming you are talking about this?
It's all right, but I have improvement suggestion for better interface.

Hong wrote: 5.1 Do you want to see the design thumbnails inside the background squares in the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list?

No.

Hong wrote: 5.2 Do you want to see the color/stop sequence for each colorway in the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list?

Not really following here. Please elaborate.

Hong wrote: - Colorway Editor docker:

6. Do you like to see the 'Color #' column at all times in the Colorways pane in the Colorway Editor docker?

Yes. (Please make it better looking.)

Hong wrote: 7. Do you like to see the Unused Colors in the Colorways pane in the Colorway Editor docker? If the answer is yes, when and why do you need to see?

Yes. Unused colour chips does not mean I won't use those, can be not used yet.

Hong wrote: 8. Do you like to see the color/stop sequence in each colorway in the Colorway Editor docker?

Again, please elaborate.

Hong wrote: 9. Do you like the changes we made in e4.2: single-clicking a color (in Threads pane/docker) to change currently selected color and double-clicking a color (in Threads pane/docker) to add a color to color palette / colorway?

No.
The interface of Colourway Editor does not confine to convention that a single click changes/applies setting interface.
Or at least let users decide to have good old method "assign" button (and single-click on a colour won't apply) OR the new single-click method.

Hong wrote: 10. Do you like the way to enter/edit Element for different stops in one color stop and the Locate function?

Sort of.

Hong wrote: 11. How do you normally use the Threads pane in the Colorway Editor docker?

Hong wrote: - Threads docker

I use Threads docker to replace the colour chip on Colourway Editor.

Hong wrote: 13. Do you find the Threads docker very useful to you?

Yes, but... (see below)
Yes if I know the colour number, and just type in and assign (to the colour palette/chip).
Sort of, finding (best) matching colour from RGB value (of image). This goes to the question on how accurate the RGB values of provided threads are.
No, the interface is not friendly.
Attachments:

More
1 year 7 months ago #1910 by Hong
Thank you very much Anotony!

I have updated question #5, #5.2, and #8 for clarification, and attached a screenshot for an opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list.

By default, colors in color palette on the Color toolbar are all different. When the user create a green object, then a blue object, and then duplicate these two objects, green-blue-green-blue color sequence is shown in the Color-Object List docker, but only green and blue colors are shown in the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list as well as the Colorways pane in the Colorway Editor docker.

By the way, what is your answer to question #11?

Regarding your answer to question #12. Do you use the Threads docker to edit the color palette on the Color toolbar or change the color of selected objects?

I use Threads docker to replace the colour chip on Colourway Editor.

Do you mean you use the Threads pane (inside Colorway Editor docker) to replace the color chip in the Colorway Editor docker?

Thanks,
Hong

More
1 year 7 months ago #1911 by antony

Hong wrote: 5.1 Do you want to see the design thumbnails inside the background squares in the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list (as shown in attachment)?

No, please keep it simple and clear.

Hong wrote: 5.2 Do you want to see the color block sequence (as Color List in the Color-Object List docker) for each colorway in the opened 'Current Colorway' dropdown list?

No. I would prefer to see just what colours I've used, I wouldn't be interested in colour usage sequence, (or how often I repeats).
In other words, I would prefer it to keep it simple, and gives customers focus on colours used. (And preferable in chip # sequence, not order usage sequence, because customers would have an idea where the colour chip is in front or not.)
The sequence job should give to Colour-Object List docker.

Hong wrote: 8. Do you like to see the color block sequence to be the same as the Color List in the Color-Object List docker for each colorway in the Colorway Editor docker?

No. (See above.)
Also, if this is implemented, does it mean that when I re-arrange the sequence, the colour (chip) will re-arrange it's order? That would be annoying.

Hong wrote: 11. How do you normally use the Threads pane in the Colorway Editor docker?

(My previous answer are meant for Thread pane.)I use Threads docker to replace the colour chip on Colourway Editor.

Hong wrote: 12. Do you use the Threads docker to edit the color palette on the Color toolbar or change the color of selected objects?

No, I use the thread pane. Or I don't know any additional feature of this Thread docker over Thread pane.

Hong wrote: 13. Do you find the Threads docker very useful to you?

I feel it's a bit duplicated.

More
1 year 7 months ago #1913 by Pascale R.
[Hong] I just checked e4.2 Reference Manual and Release Notes, both do not contain anything related to your attachment. However, I can see e4.0 Release Notes contains your attachment, which is correct for e4.0.

Hi Hong. That is the page I get when I click on the "?" icon in the Object Properties box. I double checked. Please see attachment.
Attachments:

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #1914 by Pascale R.
CLARIFICATION to my entry concerning the THREADS DOCKER:

Hong --- all my previous notes concerning the Thread Docker was in fact referring to the Thread Pane in the Colorway Editor Docker; and NOT the Threads DOCKER (which I have never ever used before!).
I just now accessed it after reading Antony's clarification!

So, to answer your original #12 & #13 questions: No, I do not use the THREADS docker. I only use the Thread Pane in the Colorway editor. I think it provides more info & better visual of what you are doing and/or changing in the colorway.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Pascale R..

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #1915 by Hong

Pascale R. wrote: [Hong] I just checked e4.2 Reference Manual and Release Notes, both do not contain anything related to your attachment. However, I can see e4.0 Release Notes contains your attachment, which is correct for e4.0.

Hi Hong. That is the page I get when I click on the "?" icon in the Object Properties box. I double checked. Please see attachment.

Hi Pascale,

Thank you for the update. I can reproduce it following your steps. However, if you click on the 'Table of Content' control on the top left corner of the left pane in EmbroideryStudio e4 Online Help screen, you will see the 'New My Threads docker' section is located under the 'What's new in ES e4.0?' section, which has been changed in e4.2. I realize that it is not obvious and confusing for the users, and I will report this issue to our product manager and the documentation manager.

Thanks,
Hong
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Hong.

More
1 year 7 months ago #1916 by Pascale R.
Colorway Editor docker:

YES!

7. Do you like to see the Unused Colors in the Colorways pane in the Colorway Editor docker? If the answer is yes, when and why do you need to see?
I like having the option to hide or show.
Hide unused colors option - when I don't plan on changing colors of objects (and to make more room for thread pane (it would be nice to make more room for Stop#-Elements section as well).

View unused colors option - when I plan on assigning a new color to objects (and will need to change color codes using the Threads pane)

(?? I currently have unused colors hidden, yet, The number #1 color is still visible and as far as I can tell, it is not used in the design. I've attached the emb file, as it also applies to the following questions & I knew I wouldn't be available for next couple of days to send if you happen to need it.

8. Do you like to see the color block sequence to be the same as the Color List in the Color-Object List docker for each colorway in the Colorway Editor docker?
Tough call.
Depends what I want to do.
If I want to simply assign threads to the color toolbar (without any consideration to design in workspace), then I'd like to see the colorway to be in same order as the color toolbar (ie. 1,2,3,4, etc).

If I am examining the design in workspace & viewing them in the color-object list, AND want to fine tune the thread colors (by reassigning codes per brand name threads), then it would be helpful to have the sequencing in the Colorway editor to be listed in same order as Color-Object list.

9. Do you like the changes we made in e4.2: A. single-clicking a color (in Threads pane/docker) to change currently selected color and B. double-clicking a color (in Threads pane/docker) to add a color to color palette / colorway?

A. NO! But you're read my comments on this before
B. I'd like the double clicking to be reserved for reassigning thread color to the currently selected color.
Maybe right click to get an 'add' option to add a color to color palette / colorway ?

10. Do you like the way to enter/edit Element for different stops in one color stop and the Locate function?
I haven't worked with the elements since many version ago.
To answer the questions, I used one of the design I was working today:
I discovered naming elements was much easier & more dependable than OLDER version.
- naming elements was super easy & didn't have any issues.
- locating elements using the locate button was simple & easy to identify elements

However, some things were baffling (this could be normal, but it didn't make sense to me)
a. The elements weren't listed in sequential order (see 1st & 2nd images)
b. Some of the elements were missing (see 1st image)
c. After naming the elements, and then going to the color toolbar & using "click & hold" color chip to locate, I discovered that the elements in the elements pane had changed (ie. some were gone & new ones appeared). see 3rd image
d. This design has applique objects. Not sure how I feel about having one element for placement, tack, and cover.
e. I clicked on the #1 color chip in the colorways pane & all the stop#-elements I had names are gone. -see 4th image

11. How do you normally use the Threads pane in the Colorway Editor docker
My previous post under "THREADS DOCKER" will explain answer to this question

*** with my limited monitor size, it would be nice to be able to adjust the height of the panes in the Colorway Editor docker (in addition to collapsing the panes). I might want all panes open, but only see a small part of the threads pane, but a large section of the colorways pane. And, maybe even have option to collapse the Stop# - Elements section.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 7.290 seconds