How to make columns of an ESA generated font THINNER?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #1995 by Pascale R.
I have a customer who would like to use the College ESA font. However, in the size she wants (which really isn't very big - 108mm wide x 30mm tall), the column widths are > 7mm wide and it's too 'fat'.

How does one go about narrowing the column width besides redigitizing and eye-balling a narrower width? I'd like to avoid the 'eye-balling' part.

Could this be a topic for a future Wilcom Blog article or video?

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
How do I make ESA font bold (or thin)?7.37Tuesday, 22 January 2019
Why Wilcom make complicated what is simple4.34Wednesday, 12 December 2018
Font ESA to TTF3.13Friday, 21 September 2018
Bold font3.1Friday, 08 February 2019
Tusj ESA font does not have Trims, tie-offs or tie-ins3.03Saturday, 03 November 2018
What versions can read an ESA font created in e4?3.03Tuesday, 11 December 2018
Font Creator & additional "swashy" characters3Sunday, 09 December 2018
Wilcom e4.2H - Convert TrueType Font feature3Friday, 10 May 2019
Looking for a less chunky version of the Small High Tower ESA font2.96Thursday, 02 May 2019
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #1996 by Pascale R.
Ok, I'm getting closer to a solution by using the Outlines & Offset tool with a negative offset, but I'm missing something at the end:

1. Select text object
2. Convert to vector object
3. Select vector object, use negative offset to create vector

From here, I get lost.

Auto-digitizing didn't do so well (all one stitch angle) - see pink text

For the O, I finally got it to look nice, but it was a convoluted way to achieve the look (and doesn't work for serifs that require separate sections). I selected the vector object (step 2 above). clicked on complex turning offsets, selected the new object and added new angles. (see turquoise text)

I could digitize manually, but is there something I'm overlooking that would make this task easier? Am I using the automated tools incorrectly?
Attachments:

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #1997 by Pascale R.
Problem temporarily solved by using Athletica esa font

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #2000 by brenden
Another option is to negative Column Width value. So go to your Pull Compensation tab, check on 'Adjust Column Width' and set a negative value.

The negative (excuse the pun) here is that it can cause some gaps, as the adjust column width adjusts all columns in the object, and not just the object boundary.

Senior Product Manager - Wilcom
Sydney, Australia

Have you installed your latest Wilcom update? Click here.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #2009 by Pascale R.

brenden wrote: Another option is to negative Column Width value. So go to your Pull Compensation tab, check on 'Adjust Column Width' and set a negative value.

The negative (excuse the pun) here is that it can cause some gaps, as the adjust column width adjusts all columns in the object, and not just the object boundary.

Good idea ... it worked well for this example. Editing the nodes to remove the gaps was pretty easy! Thanks

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds