Font Creator Question

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #2443 by LindeeG
I'm creating a font that includes two objects that are run stitch in an otherwise satin stitch font.

In the attached PNG file, you can see some of the original characters (green, on the left) and then the same characters as created with the lettering tool. The one on the right only shows the outline, no run stitches.

How do I get the run stitch elements to generate?

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by LindeeG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #2444 by Karla
Replied by Karla on topic Font Creator Question
Hi LindeeG,

Workaround would be is to break the lettering object apart.
Then break apart the first i
Lastly break apart the last star object then press G.

Not entirely sure if you're happy with this. I'm just curious how did you create these lettering objects when saving to an ESA file? what are the settings behind it? Note the lettering object has an underlay. I tried to create a letter from the first original sample (left side) and the object generates stitches.

Kind regards,
Karla
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Karla.

More
1 year 11 months ago #2446 by LindeeG
Replied by LindeeG on topic Font Creator Question
Thanks, Carla.

The letters on the left are as they were digitized, no underlay. The ones on the right do have a center run probably because of my template. Settings I used were: height 12mm, CJ, and spacing I thing was 8%.

Now that I'm looking at the connectors, the h-i doesn't look very CJ.

They were digitized in e4.2 but the final font was created in 3.0 for compatibility. It does the same whether the font is created in 4.2 or 3.0.

Break Apart will make them uneditable. I'd prefer to avoid that.

I have done a run stitch font before but I've never done one that has both run and satin objects.

More
1 year 11 months ago #2494 by Pascale R.
Replied by Pascale R. on topic Font Creator Question
Hey guys ... I don't know if this will help:

John Wright once told me that it is best to avoid using run/pathing stitches under satin stitches (or use the least amount necessary) when creating Closest join ESA fonts. I don't remember why ... but that made me wonder what would happen if you created the font as an "AS Digitized" alphabet.

I grabbed LindeeG's "i" and created it under an "As Digitized" alphabet, and it worked. Would you be able to save the alphabet as an "As digitized" alphabet instead?

I also increased the size of the i to 20mm (and even over exaggerated the star) and saved it as an CJ, but again , it didn't generate the run stitches.

More
1 year 11 months ago #2495 by LindeeG
Replied by LindeeG on topic Font Creator Question
Yes, the reason you want to avoid run pathing when creating a closest join font is because creating a CJ font is similar to branching. The software will work out all the pathing and since pathing changes based on the connectors, it's best to just let the program do it. Adding your own pathing could make for redundant travel stitches.

With this font, it doesn't seem smart to make it "as digitized" just to accommodate the 2 run stitch objects. These run stitch objects aren't a pathing thing, they are the actual character.

If I made the font a lot larger, they could be satin objects but at 12mm that won't work. So I guess you can't have a font that uses both satin characters and run stitch ones.

Time to create page: 2.529 seconds