Can't change Entry/Exit points on Manual Run stitch.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2588 by LightishRedd
Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I can't change the Entry/Exit points on a manual run stitch I've created. Maybe this isn't something that can be done. I just can't find an answer while doing a search.

I have a red, manual run stitch with just over 1,000 stitches (Yes, it took me a long time!) that I need to swap the Entry/Exit points on. I manually created a three-color blend and Copy/Pasted and Rotated 180° my first color to save time. The only problem is that I want the path of the pasted blend to go in the same direction as the first two.

I've included the .emb file if anyone needs to look at it. It's a simple oval that blends yellow, orange, and red from left to right.

Any ideas on how to make this work without having to redigitize the red section?
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #2590 by Petar
That's correct you cannot change the start/end points of manual stitches. I think the only way is to redo it.

You should raise a Feature Idea, the new section. For the ability to blend more than two colors using color blending.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LightishRedd

More
2 months 1 week ago #2610 by yogisaw
Hi lightishred,

If I would be you, I would have created that blend using wilcom's blending tool. Other thing I would like to share with you is that I would not use manual stitch in it. Instead I would have used run stitch with required length. This gives me flexibility to change the start and end point at any time.
You cannot change start and end point of manual stitch but you can convert it to run stitch of required length and then change its start end point. Essentially result will be same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LightishRedd

More
2 months 1 week ago #2613 by LightishRedd
Sorry about not replying sooner, but thank you Petar and yogisaw for both of your comments.

Petar, I was pretty sure you were going to tell me I couldn't change start/end points on manual stitches, but a guy can hope can't he? I will probably raise a Feature Idea for this type of blend. Making this type of object more automatic would be a game changer for smooth, multicolor blends.

yogisaw, As for using Wilcom's Accordion tool, it was too restrictive when trying to create the type of blend that I wanted. As far as I can tell, the tool will only allow you to distribute the spacing of one object so that it will look like a smooth, one-color gradient. You could then overlap this accordion object on top of a solid fill object of a different color giving the effect of a two-color blend.

There are two problems that I have with this:
  1. Overlapping two objects like this creates an over-dense area with more stitches than are necessary. This starts to compound especially if you want to blend more than three colors on top of each other. At that point the embroidery starts getting bulletproof. I still want the oval shape seen above to feel like a one-color object with standard densities.
  2. I don't feel that using the Accordion tool creates as smooth a blend as I'm achieving in my oval above (I'll provide some pictures after I do more testing). Using my example of the oval above, if I overlapped a yellow Accordion Fill on top of a standard orange Tatami Fill, it would result in the yellow threads actually looking like they're sitting on top of the orange fill (that's what is actually happening so it's to be expected). With the method I'm using, the two thread colors actually sit next to each other and create a flattened, more gradual blend.

I'm not sure how many digitizers have tried manually blending thread colors this way, but preplanning is a chore. You have to create an object to use as a background for "tracing" your stitches manually. Once you get your stitch lengths and densities figured out, you Lock the object, turn on Show Needle Points, and spend the next few hours placing a manual stitch on each needle point while developing carpal tunnel syndrome. There's quite a bit more to it than that, but a least you get the picture.

And thank you yogisaw, I had the same idea you gave. A few days ago I decided to try selecting the manual run stitches and Convert to Run. I thought this would completely botch the original needle points since I gave my "Tracing" object a Random setting of 40% before I started. I randomized the points because I didn't like how my first trial with manual blending turned out. My first "Tracing" object used default Spacing and Length under the Tatami tab and gave my first blend a pattern that didn't look smooth. Anyway, Convert to Run worked but ended up adding many new stitches because it applied the default settings in Object Properties under the Outlines tab. I changed those settings to a Length of 4mm and a Min length of 6mm and this created what seems to be an exact copy of the original section with the same needle points and new Start/End points.

You can see how the copy in this screen capture didn't maintain the same stitch points after conversion:

But after changing the copy's Object Properties they seem to look the same:

Now it would be great if Run Stitch properties had a Random factor for stitch spacing like Tatami properties has. I wouldn't have to manually place all of my stitches while tracing each pass, I would only have to place the top and bottom stitches of each pass. It would cut manual stitch placement from approximately 20 stitches per pass down to 2! I have another idea that I need to test, but I think this is the best I'm going to get.
Attachments:

More
2 months 1 week ago #2618 by Pras
Hi LihtishRedd,

Manual objects can be reversed by using Backtrack (Shift+X).
Steps:
1. Open the original design (OvalTest_2019-08-28.EMB)
2. Select the red manual objects in the Color-Object list
3. Apply Backtrack (shortcut Shift+X)
4. Delete the original red manual objects(objects 17 to 26)
The red manual stitches should stitch in the same direction.
See attached OvalTest_2019-08-28mod.EMB

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Koob

More
2 months 6 days ago #2625 by yogisaw
Hi LightishRed

I stopped using manual stitch years back when I found a motif created with manual sometimes raises Exception access violation error. I don't remember what version of wilcom I was using. may be wilcom 7 or 8. Lot of time since then passed but still today I digitize using run stitch (digitize every needle point but using run stitch with run length 25 (ahhh that's maximum) ). Btw Idea to implement randomized stitches in run and triple run is good.

Thanks Pras. Your idea of backtrack is another good solution.

Time to create page: 11.965 seconds