Freehand select tool - is there a way to keep it active? Or keyboard shortcut?

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #2758 by Pascale R.
Is there a way to keep the Freehand Select Tool active after you've selected something and want to select a new set of objects, without having to go to the tool box and reselecting the tool?

For instance, I use the freehand select tool to select objects of a letter and group them. Then, I need to select the next set of objects and group them. And so forth. After each grouping, I need to go to the Select Tool box and click on the Freehand Select Tool. I wish there was a keyboard short cut or a way to keep it active somehow.

Is this already possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Related topics

Topic subjectRelevanceDate of latest post
Select tool7.35Tuesday, 11 September 2018
Trapunto not active with Double Square fill5.44Thursday, 22 August 2019
Lettering tool vs Monogramming tool and height of letters4.61Tuesday, 12 March 2019
Select and settings4.15Thursday, 13 September 2018
bug input c tool3.21Friday, 19 October 2018
Using the Welding tool3.21Sunday, 10 March 2019
Measure Tool3.21Friday, 28 June 2019
sequin tool3.21Tuesday, 14 May 2019
Issues after use knife tool3.17Sunday, 23 September 2018
Observation & "problem" with using BRANCHING tool3.14Monday, 05 November 2018
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #2767 by Petar
Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for Freehand select.

Have you thought about using the polygon select tool? This option does have a shortcut of Ctrl+L

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #2768 by Pascale R.

Petar wrote: Unfortunately, there is no shortcut for Freehand select.

Have you thought about using the polygon select tool? This option does have a shortcut of Ctrl+L

Thanks Petar for the tip on the polygon shortcut. It's not ideal for me though. 1) it's noisy (all the beeps for each point), and 2) I find that I'm faster with the freehand select tool, as it only requires moving mouse w/o clicking points. Phooey.

The Ctrl+L also requires me to use both hands: my right hand (ie. take off mouse) to select the L, and my left hand to select the Ctrl ... so it's not really a quick short cut option for me. Double Phooey.

My task sequencing involves: freehand select objects, Ctrl G, then select next set of objects. Ideally, it would be great to never take hand off mouse and only use left hand for shortcut keys. Oh well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yogisaw

More
2 weeks 4 days ago - 2 weeks 4 days ago #2769 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: The Ctrl+L also requires me to use both hands: my right hand (ie. take off mouse) to select the L, and my left hand to select the Ctrl ... so it's not really a quick short cut option for me.

I know it's not convenient. However, if you use certain shortcuts that require right hand side of the keyboard, such as Ctrl + L often, ...
Hint 1:
Instead of lifting your right hand from mouse, try shifting your left hand to the right hand side of the keyboard, and use your left thumb to press Ctrl key, and left index finger for the L key.
After a few times, you will get used to it, and you can keep your right hand on top of mouse.
(Trust me, it is still easier than any F1-F12 keys as shortcut, as I need to hold down the FN key.)

Hint 2:
Using keyboard without numerical keypad is easier as the Ctrl key is closer.
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by antony.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #2775 by Pascale R.

antony wrote:

Pascale R. wrote: The Ctrl+L also requires me to use both hands: my right hand (ie. take off mouse) to select the L, and my left hand to select the Ctrl ... so it's not really a quick short cut option for me.

I know it's not convenient. However, if you use certain shortcuts that require right hand side of the keyboard, such as Ctrl + L often, ...
Hint 1:
Instead of lifting your right hand from mouse, try shifting your left hand to the right hand side of the keyboard, and use your left thumb to press Ctrl key, and left index finger for the L key.
After a few times, you will get used to it, and you can keep your right hand on top of mouse.
(Trust me, it is still easier than any F1-F12 keys as shortcut, as I need to hold down the FN key.)

Hint 2:
Using keyboard without numerical keypad is easier as the Ctrl key is closer.

thanks Antony --- Alas, my PC keyboard has the numerical keypad and my hand is too small to do that trick. I barely can accomplish it on my small mac keyboard (which doesn't have wilcom).

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #2777 by Petar
I have raised an issue to add a shortcut to the freehand select tool in CAD-14135.

BTW with the beeping, you can turn it off in the options.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago - 2 weeks 3 days ago #2781 by Pascale R.

Petar wrote: I have raised an issue to add a shortcut to the freehand select tool in CAD-14135.

BTW with the beeping, you can turn it off in the options.

That's great - thank you Petar!

This may seem fickle, but I do rely on the beeping, but not for all functions :huh:
Last edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by Pascale R.. Reason: spelling typo (may)

More
2 weeks 9 hours ago #2784 by yogisaw
Hi Pascale I think you have not understood what antony suggested you. you have to use your left hand thumb to press ctrl key and then any other key to press L (no matter how small your hand is you can certainly grab these key combination)

I accept it is would be easy if it has left key combination.

More
1 week 6 days ago #2791 by Pascale R.

yogisaw wrote: Hi Pascale I think you have not understood what antony suggested you. you have to use your left hand thumb to press ctrl key and then any other key to press L (no matter how small your hand is you can certainly grab these key combination..

Thank you Yogisaw! Yes, I felt really stupid yesterday when I realized that there is a control key on the right side of the keyboard - clearly a case of overlooking something directly in front of my nose!

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds