Unable to create an offset object using the Offsets & Outline tools. Why?

More
1 week 4 days ago #2792 by Pascale R.
I am trying to create knockdown stitches to embroider on a plush blanket (I have 13 to do with different names).

The names were from a DST file created in Embrilliance (using a BX alphabet).
I edited the objects by removing manual stitches, adding underlay, and so forth to make names stitch more efficiently.

1) In this example, when I select the entire word "Sellars" (grouped), go to the Outlines & Offsets Tool, nothing happens when I choose complex fill or the tatami complex fill. I even played around with the distance for the offset. Didn't make a difference.

2) If I select all the parts to the S - it works.

3) I copied the name, converted the name to vector, selected the vector & attempted to apply a offset but it didn't work either.

3a) I copied and pasted 'Sellars' into a new page. That didn't work either

4) I tested with an esa font 'AFA' - it worked
5) I broke apart the 'AFA' letters to get individual objects, and again the offset object worked

What is preventing the offset from working with 'Sellars'? What do I need to do to the "Sellars" text to make it work?

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #2795 by Pascale R.
The second name worked ok . I've attached the file in case someone can see what the difference is.

I haven't finished creating and editing any of the other names yet ... but I'll keep you posted.

More
1 week 4 days ago #2796 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: 1) In this example, when I select the entire word "Sellars" (grouped), go to the Outlines & Offsets Tool, nothing happens when I choose complex fill or the tatami complex fill. I even played around with the distance for the offset. Didn't make a difference.

works for me.

(Haven't moved the order.)
Attachments:

More
1 week 3 days ago #2799 by Pascale R.

antony wrote: works for me.
/quote]

Uhhh!
It's not working for me.
1st name (Sellars) didn't work.
2nd name (Wood) - worked fine.
3rd name (Timmons) - offset didn't work.

*Workaround for name #1 (haven't had time to try this for name #3): open the original file (un-edited) and make the offset. Then, I copied that offset and pasted it into my 'edited' text.

If you have time and want to play with this, I'll attach the original file from 3rd name that I'm working with. Objects include "the swirly T, Timmons, and swirly s.

Here are my steps, as best as I can recall:
1. Started with the dst file called "Blanket_lillian font samples.dst". Image was sent to customer to to approve names (or names with swirly start & ends)
2. I opened the above dst file into Wilcom. Did SAVE AS for each of the names to create 11 files.
3. Opened file (one name) at a time, and deleted all the other names & swirls that I didn't need.
4. Selected Stitch Type & deleted the manual & runs
5. I changed settings:

• 90% density,
    pull comp 0.2 with column 0.1 (0.2 column width for the swirly start & ends)
    Edge & zigzag underlay with 0.5 offset
6. Rearranged sequencing and/or redigitized sections for better pathing (used the "123" tool a lot)
7. Adjusted kerning by selecting letters individually)
8. Applied Closest join and
9. Connectors 3mm (I had to use the Stitch list often to Clear Functions to remove trims when connector settings didn't seem to remove the trims)

Give me a couple minutes and I'll send all the files ....

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #2800 by Pascale R.
Here are the files.

Blanket_Lillian font samples.dst --- original file created by Embrilliance
Blanket_Lillian font samples.emb --- file created after opening the above DST file
Timmons_Lillian 2inch_Edited_DLB.emb ---- this is the file I want to add the offset for knockdown stitching.

** I added another file:
Timmons_Lillian 2inch_DLB --- this is the file after I've removed all of the other names & swirlies. I then SAVE AS "Timmons_Liliian 2inch_Edited_DLB.emb" and do the editing.

Update: my WORKAROUND for the TIMMONS name worked. (I copied the name & swirlies for Timmons from the original DST and pasted into a new emb file, moved letters around for proper kerning, but no other editing besides deleting the original T and s. The offset worked. I haven't yet removed the holes, but you can see it worked:
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 week 3 days ago by Pascale R.. Reason: Added additional file

More
3 days 17 hours ago - 3 days 17 hours ago #2811 by Pascale R.
Brenden , Sam , Petar, Marlie, Maria someone .. I need help!

I am continuing to have issues working with the offset tool.

Earlier today, I did two designs that required using the offset tool to create knockdown stitches and I didn't have any problems. Both were ESA fonts (I created myself).

This 3rd one, is also an esa font, but I believe it is a native Wilcom font (Flair Script). When I select the object and then use the "Outlines & Offsets" to create an offset (3mm complex fill), it spins, then does nothing.

I have copied & pasted the text object into another file, didn't work,
I redid into a new file, didn't work.

I don't know what / why the offset is NOT working.

Any ideas?

I have attached a video & the 3 files that I worked on today. Macie & aAe worked fine.
Raiders - is not working.

I hope you'll be able to figure it out. Thanks!

Using: e4.2J R2 4 Oct 2019 (153-20179) [d9986414]

Result with other esa scripty fonts: book Script, Chancery, Script 1 and Script 6 worked; another esa that I created didn't work (Roasted marshmallow),
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 days 17 hours ago by Pascale R.. Reason: Added Wilcom version / report result of trying other script fonts

More
3 days 14 hours ago #2814 by antony

Pascale R. wrote: This 3rd one, is also an esa font, but I believe it is a native Wilcom font (Flair Script). When I select the object and then use the "Outlines & Offsets" to create an offset (3mm complex fill), it spins, then does nothing.

Hello Pascale,

Works fine for me. (I don't know which motif you used.)

(someone)
Attachments:

More
3 days 13 hours ago #2815 by antony
Pascale,

Please see the attached video:

More
3 days 30 minutes ago #2818 by Pascale R.
Hey Antony, Thanks again for trying to help!
But, nope, mine does not work for the flair script.
Watching your video, when you clicked on 'complex fill' for your offset, you got a 2nd object (the offset object). When I do the same, I don't get a second object. I don't get the opportunity to use a motif.

Interestingly, I can copy the Flair Script object, change font to Flares and I get a complex fill offset object. You can see from picture below, that several other esa fonts were ok. This is so strange.

I've also restarted Wilcom to see if there was a glitch & opened a new work area.

I entertained the idea that perhaps the ESA file is corrupt, but that doesn't explain why I couldn't make an offset last week when I imported DST files of names.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 11.916 seconds